These days, it seems like there are infinite options on the Internet for practicing English, and sometimes a parent doesn’t know where to look for quality educational videos in English for their young child. Of course, every kid is a different world, and what they like and don’t like can vary greatly. But I’d like to recommend eight wonderful YouTube options that have worked very well with my own 2-year-old son.
- Pocoyo — Yes, Pocoyo…in English! The immensely popular children’s series has been translated into many different languages, including English. Short episodes, extremely watchable, and the legendary British actor and comedian Stephen Fry narrating. What’s not to love?
- Little Baby Bum — This fantastic YouTube channel is constantly putting out new versions of classic British and American children’s songs, with very attractive original animation. My son would watch it for hours if we let him!
- Sesame Street — The gold standard for educational videos. Over 40 years on TV in the USA, and still going strong.
- PBS Kids — This is the YouTube channel for all the children’s programming on the USA’s public television network, PBS. Lots of videos for kids of all ages!
- BabyTV — If you have satellite TV in your house, you might recognize this as one of the channels for children. They also have this YouTube channel, with tons of wonderful videos for very little children who are just starting to use language.
- British Council | LearnEnglish Kids — Songs and videos for little children. Many of them also have English subtitles, which is a very nice addition.
- Yo Gabba Gabba! — Educational videos with a STRONG emphasis on music, movement and creativity. Slightly surreal, which is basically a toddler’s world anyways. Parents will not get bored watching it either.
- Toddler Fun Learning — Stories, counting, phonics and more. Perfect for preschool-aged children.
Got any more? If you have any more suggestions, we’d love to hear from you! Please share them with us via Facebook or Twitter!